Sunday, May 6, 2012

The wedding cake, and semi-trial wedding cake

(I started this post on the third Saturday of April, but didn't finish it until now)The third Friday of April  I practiced making Grandma's wedding cake.
I used the six inch cake pan I'm going to use for the top tier. This was the first time I've made fondant that actually worked, and I was very pleased to discover it is absolutely amazing to work with.
Friday we had our last Preparing to be a Helpmeet book study  :(   so I decided I could just serve it then.
The actual thing is going to be flavored with almond, and it's going to have a lot more flowers. Kendal forgot exactly what the picture looked like that I was copying the cake  from, and I didn't have time to show her what it looked like. Since she was helping me, and we had about five minutes to decorate it, it ended up with  quite a few less flowers than I had originally been shooting for.
No worries, since it was just a "semi-trial cake." :)
I was really glad I practiced putting the fondant on, because then I knew exactly how smooth it was nesscesary to make the icing under the fondant, and how thick to roll out the fondant itself. On the real thing I changed both.




I was so nervous that something would happen to the cake on the way to the house where the reception was being held. I was also relieved that it was out of the house, because if anything happened to it once it left, there wasn't anything I could do about it.
I thought the picture below was really neat. I took it once the cake was in the car.
Kendal and Dad took it with them on Friday to the house, since they were going there for the rehearsal anyway.
Most people will take extra fondant and icing with them to the location in case something horribe happens, but I decided that everything would be fine,and if all the fondant fell off, then so be it. :)


If anyone is curious to see pictures of the process, just leave a comment asking to see them, and I'll post some. Otherwise I won't since it'll take a few extra minutes to upload.

~Kelsey

2 comments:

Maddie said...

WOW Kelsey!!!
that is Amazing!!!
it is so Beautiful!

Abigail said...

Hey Y'all! I have now made my blog private, but if y'all will email me your blogger account email address, I'd love to invite you so you can keep reading! :) My blog email address is tweetytweetings (at) gmail (dot) come. Hope y'all are doing well!! :)