Monday, November 26, 2012

Random fact of Architecture (by Kendal)

For some (ok, most) of you, this is probably going to be pretty boring, but I thought I'd take that chance, in hope that someone finds it terribly interesting. :)
As I was brushing up on historical architecture for my upcoming humanities exam, I discovered something I had never noticed before. You may recall that there are three styles of columns in architecture: Doric (the simplest), Ionic (slightly more ornate, with "scrolls" at the top), and Corinthian (very ornate, with a multileved base). Here is an illustration:
 
Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian                               
                
So, here is my great discovery:

 
 
This is a close-up of the coliseum in Rome.  The bottom columns are Doric, the middle ones are Ionic, and the top columns are Corinthian- I can't believe I had never noticed before! I read that this was actually a fairly common thing in Roman architecture, although it seems the Greeks kept the styles separate. Who knew?
 
(Please don't be disappointed. I thought it was pretty cool...)
-Kendal
 
 

1 comment:

Traveling the Narrow Road said...

That's quite interesting Kendal...Thanks for sharing! I never knew any of that before. I will never look at the coliseum in Rome the same again, that's for sure. :)

-Morgan